Monday, April 6, 2015

Why I went Paleo


Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes with Nuts and Bacon, Oh My!
Normally I am not a big fan of fad or extreme diets. I like to stick to clean eating and portion control to keep my body in check. But recently talk of the paleo diet as occurred between friends and family and I decided I would give it a go. My usual diet is pretty close to it anyways but I was finding lately it has been more dirty than clean. I set up a 21 day challenge group and recruited a mix of paleo virgins and more experienced players to the group. It was fun to learn from each other and I know the challenge setup would keep me honest.

The first few days went pretty well. I kept to the basic rules and even gave up coffee. I wasn't hungry because I let myself eat whoever I wanted as long as it was paleo. The key was planning ahead and trying some new dishes to keep things interesting like:
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Butternut Squash Soup
Almond Milk

The hardest part for me was the coffee. I was feeling tired and sluggish. By day seven I caved and I felt so much better with my first sip.

Week two went pretty well except I felt myself slowly getting thicker. Lack of portion control and too many paleo treats did it. Also I was eating too many nuts and bacon.  Some of the treats included:
Almond Butter Banana Muffins
Paleo Granola
Date Bars
Chia seed pudding

By week three I had enough. The lack of variety and my sugar cravings got ahold of me. I ended the challenge weighing the same and not feeling any different. In the end I felt that the diet has some good key features for people to help focus on the clean eating but not enough variety for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment